1/1 Photo of Mexican Polenta Pie
This is from Betty Crocker's "Good and Easy Dinners" with my adaptation. Go mild or spicy...it's up to you. This is good for when you don't have any meat defrosted for dinner but you want something hearty, pretty and kid-pleasing. (It qualifies also as pure comfort food - bonus!) For the crushed tortilla chips, try a combo of Doritos and plain Tostitos...Fritos are good, as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 small seeded finely chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can beans (kidney, pinto, black, or chili)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1Heat oven to 375.
- 2Mix cornmeal, water, chicken broth and salt in medium saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat.
- 3Reduce heat to medium, continue cooking, stirring frequently, until mixture is very thick and stiff (2 to 5 minutes). Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in egg and half-n-half.
- 5Spread cornmeal mixture into buttered 9" pie plate. (*I find that using a lightly buttered sandwich-baggie over my hand works great for this, to push the cornmeal mixture evenly into the pie plate and up the sides.) Bake uncovered 15 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, mix salsa, jalapenos (if using)and beans in medium bowl; mash a little with a potato masher to incorporate.
- 7When cornmeal crust is done, spread bean mixture over evenly.
- 8Sprinkle with cheese and tortilla chips.
- 9Bake uncovered 20 minutes.
- 10Let stand a few minutes before slicing.
- 11Top individual servings with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Polenta Pie
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 55.9 mg
- Sodium 493.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: