Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 lbs ripe guavas
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (4 inches long)
- 8 cloves
- 2 strips lime zest (green only-2 inches long by 1 inch wide)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla (if using Mexican Vanilla-1/2 t. for "regular")
- Peel guavas, cut in half, scoop out the seedy center and leave the shells.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, zest, juice and 2 1/2 cups water.
- Simmer and stir.
- cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Uncover, strain, return syrup to pan and bring to temp over medium heat.
- Add the fruit.
- Poach to tender but firm.
- Around 8 minutes.
- Remove fruit and boil the syrup to reduced to 1 cup.
- Remove, stir in vanilla and pour over fruit-cool and serve.
This is a simple and delicious recipe. Basically, a cinnamon and clove spiced syrup that is poured over the poached fruit. If I had access to fresh guavas, I would definitely make this again.