Recipe by Abby Girl
This recipe is originally from the Best of Bridge series. The Ranchero sauce will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week and is delicious used as a pasta sauce. If using fresh dough, cook the pizza 6 - 8 minutes before adding the toppings to prevent a soggy crust. Cook the topping until the cheese melts.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic, minced
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 anaheim chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 14 inches prepared pizza crust (or 1 Boboli cooked crust)
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers (pickled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Ranchero Sauce: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add onion. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more or until onion is translucent. Add tomatoes, chilies, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring ocassionally. Stir in cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 500. Spread 1 cup Ranchero sauce evenly over pizza. Cover with cooked sausage and sprinkle cheese over top.
- Add onion, red pepper strips and jalapeno peppers (if using) over cheese.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes.