Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Ok i learned to make this Pico de Gallo from my mother who learned it from her mother and it has been like that since the women in my family has been making it. This Pico de Gallo can can be as tangy as you want it to be if you want more lime add more if you want more spicyness add of course more jalapeños. Tips: Remove the seedsand veins of the peppers if you dont want it to be too spicy hot. Optoinal: Add Avocado to give the Pico de Gallo a blend between the spicy Jalapeños and the sweet Avocado. But be advised when you use Avocado you must eat it sooner since Avocado goes bad faster then the other ingredient, but the good news is that the acidic nature of the jalapeño keeps the avocado from spoiling so soon. Store in a sealable container in the fridge.
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno, chopped (roughly around 5-6 peppers)
- 1⁄2-1 cup tomatoes, chopped (i use roma tomatoes but any tomatoes will doexcept green tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (i use yellow onion, but white onions do just as good just make sure NOT to use sweet onions)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (dont chop it until you will add it so it stays fresh longer)
- 2 limes, juice of (you just need the squeezed juice)
- 1 avocado, chopped or mashed (optional, i use Hass Avocado it has the black bumpy skin or shell)
- salt, to taste
- Mix the chopped Jalapeños, Tomatoes, Onions in a medium size bowl. Optional here also add the Avocado if you choose to use it.
- Add the Lime juice and salt to taste.
- Finally add the Cilantro last because since its a herb it will wilt faster and you don't want brown little leaves in your food.