Recipe by linanil
I put Sopa in the title because that is what my mom calls it and I'm not sure if there is a better name for this dish. It is a wonderful side dish and I just made it a few moments ago and I had to share. You can use almost any type of pasta.
Top Review by Nanita
This is true Mexican-American comfort food! You can make it with vermicelli and it's called Fideo. Make it with little shells and it's called Conchitas. My grandma has made this forever and she taught me to make it. Be careful when browning the pasta. It can burn very quickly.
- 2 cups of uncooked pasta (I use small pasta shells, you can use almost anything. If you use a long pasta like spaghetti, break)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a 2 qt sauce pan.
- Put the uncooked pasta, onions and garlic in 2 qt sauce pan.
- Stir regularly until onions become translucent and pasta has brown spots on it where it has fried.
- Put tomato sauce and salt in sauce pan.
- Put enough water in saucepan to cover pasta completely but not too much.
- Stir then cover saucepan and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Uncover saucepan and let water cook down until sauce nearly disappears, stirring ocassionally.
- Once the liquid has mostly disappeared, sprinkle with cheese, take off heat and cover with lid so cheese can melt.