Recipe by Jeanelle71
This is a quick, easy, and refreshing dinner that I think is pretty healthy (contains veggies and fiber and can be made pretty low in fat). Although I did get the original recipe from the Moosewood Low Fat Favorites cookbook, I have altered this recipe through the years to meet our tastes. The best thing about this recipe is it can be altered to use whatever crisp veggies you have on hand and whatever spices you prefer. This recipe is also great as a leftover so do not be afraid to make ahead and store in your fridge.
Top Review by CookieMonster2323
Yum, yum, yum, yum....can I say just one more time?-YUM! My family loved this recipe and ate it with every dinner for days! For personal tastes, we switched the black beans with sliced black olives, but it would have been fantastic either way! It was easy to throw together and tasted so fresh and fun (like a fiesta would taste, I assume!) :) We loved the addition of the cheese as well. Thanks so much for a new fav. to add to the rotation!
- 8 ounces chunky pasta (such as rotini, wheels, medium macaroni, etc)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (or the equivalent in frozen corn)
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (green, red, yellow - whatever color you have on hand)
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice (you can also use lime juice)
- pepper, to taste
- tastefully simple ranch fiesta dip mix, to taste or 1 spicy seasoning mix (such as Mrs Dash Extra Spicy) or 1 garlic powder
- cilantro, chopped,to taste
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or to taste, I have also used shredded monterey jack and shredded mexican soft cheese. If you are ve)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the pasta (al dente) During approximately the last 2 minutes of cooking time, add the corn.
- While the pasta/corn mixture is cooking, combine all other ingredients (except for the cheese) in a large bowl.
- Drain the pasta and corn.
- Rinse the pasta and corn in cold water until the mixture is cool or cold.
- Add the pasta/corn mixture to the other ingredients and mix.
- Before serving, sprinkle mixture with shredded cheese.
- (OPTIONAL) If you are vegan, do not complete this step.
- *Please note, I have also added other vegetables, such as fresh and frozen chopped broccoli (add to pasta cooking process like the corn), fresh chopped cauliflower, etc.
- You can also add cooked, diced or chopped chicken (great for leftovers).