Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this on Epicurious.com, from Bon Appetit. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good. I'd substitute the jalapenos with some nice Hatch hot chiles.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fusilli
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens, roasted, skinned, meat shredded
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded, diced (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced on diagonal, slices cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Cook fusilli pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Rinse pasta with cold water to cool. Drain pasta well. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and mix thoroughly to coat. Add shredded chicken or turkey, diced tomatoes, corn kernels, carrot strips and chopped onion and toss.
- Mix Dijon mustard and fresh lime juice in small bowl. Gradually mix in remaining 1/3 cup olive oil. Mix in minced jalapeño chilies, chili powder and ground cumin. Add dressing and chopped fresh cilantro to salad and mix to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Salad can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
I have been making this salad since it was first published in Bon Appetit in July 1994. We love it! Healthy and tasty. Grilled sweet corn imparts a nice smoky flavor. To save time, use shredded carrots found in the produce section. Fresh ingredients are ideal, but I have also made with canned diced tomatoes and canned corn. If I don't have roasted chicken, I season 4 chicken breasts with chili powder and ground cumin, broil, and cut into 1" chunks. Great served with cheese quesadillas or refried bean & Monterey Jack cheese quesadillas.