Recipe by Galley Wench
This beautiful layered salad is the perfect dish to take to the park for a picnic; the taste improves when made in advance. Cooking time includes chill time for salad.
Top Review by threeovens
I really enjoyed this salad a lot. It is a clever adaptation of an Italian classic. I used store-bought cornbread which was very sweet. I love each and every ingredient and made it just as written. I am only sorry that it was too mushy to eat the next day as it made far more servings than stated. Great interpretation! Thanks for posting.
- 6 -7 cups cornbread, torn into small pieces (day old works best)
- 10 slices bacon, crispy and crumbled
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn (cooked) or 2 (11 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 head romane lettuce, shredded
- 3 large slicing tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (or poblano)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and diced (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add one tablespoon vinegar to milk and allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Note: Dressing can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored, covered in the refrigerator.
- Assemble Salad:.
- In small bowl mix chopped avocados and lime juice; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, and 2 tablespoons cilantro; set aside.
- In large serving bowl spread 1/2 of corn bread over the bottom.
- Top cornbread with lettuce, then 1/2 of black beans.
- Spread 1/2 of tomato mixture over beans.
- Top with 1/2 of corn, 1/2 of cheese and 1/2 of avocado/lime mixture.
- Spoon 1/2 of dressing on top.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of bacon crumbles and 2 tablespoons cilantro on top.
- Repeat layer process, topping with bacon and cilantro.
- Cover and chill for several hours before serving.