Recipe by Grooved Pavement
The cornmeal crust makes a crunchy coating. It is a great alternative to the same old boring boneless/skinless chicken routine.
Top Review by MythThyng
While my bf spent a good hour chipping 3 inches of ice off of our parking space, I went looking for a quick & tasty chicken recipe to showcase my just-purchased Spicy Apple Salsa. This sounded perfect... and it was! It was very simple to put together. I had all of the ingredients readily on hand. (Yes, even the buttermilk!) I didn't change a thing about the recipe. I did serve it with fruited wild rice leftovers from yesterday and maple glazed baby carrots. Bf's comment? "Oh, this is good. I bet it could be better. You should keep making this until you get it right." (Ha ha ha) He LICKED the plate. Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to just keep making it until I get it right!
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2- to 1/3-inch thickness
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour buttermilk into shallow dish. Combine cornmeal, chili powder, and salt in separate shallow dish. Place chicken in buttermilk and turn to coat. Place chicken in cornmeal mixture and turn to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 chicken breasts; sauté until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate; tent with foil. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Serve with Salsa Verde (or your favorite salsa) spooned on top of the chicken.