Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The cornmeal crust makes a crunchy coating. It is a great alternative to the same old boring boneless/skinless chicken routine.
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2- to 1/3-inch thickness
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup salsa
- Pour buttermilk into shallow dish. Combine cornmeal, chili powder, and salt in separate shallow dish. Place chicken in buttermilk and turn to coat. Place chicken in cornmeal mixture and turn to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 chicken breasts; sauté until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate; tent with foil. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Serve with Salsa Verde (or your favorite salsa) spooned on top of the chicken.
While my bf spent a good hour chipping 3 inches of ice off of our parking space, I went looking for a quick & tasty chicken recipe to showcase my just-purchased Spicy Apple Salsa. This sounded perfect... and it was! It was very simple to put together. I had all of the ingredients readily on hand. (Yes, even the buttermilk!) I didn't change a thing about the recipe. I did serve it with fruited wild rice leftovers from yesterday and maple glazed baby carrots. Bf's comment? "Oh, this is good. I bet it could be better. You should keep making this until you get it right." (Ha ha ha) He LICKED the plate. Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to just keep making it until I get it right!
Simple and delicious. The cornmeal crust adhered so nicely and came out thick, crunchy and full of flavor. I used my favorite chipotle salsa to top it off and garnished it with a bit of cilantro. In lieu of the buttermilk (had none) I used a combination of plain non-fat yogurt and skim milk. I also divided the oil in half putting one part in when the chicken went into the pan, the second when I turned so that both sides would be equally crispy. This is a definite keeper. Thanks!
READ THIS TONIGHT AND HAD THE CHICKEN BREAST HANDY,WAS CURIOUS AS TO THE TASTE(LOVE CORNMEAL)-DID ADD 1/2tsp.RED CHILI FLAKES AND !/2 TSP. black pepper-i was really surprized !it sorta reminded me when i used to catch bass down in mississippi and fry it in cornmeal,totally different,but enjoyable,thanks dear for posting.