1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
This sounds so wonderful, however, if I made a batch of this I'd be the only one in my house eating it. I'm placing it here for safe-keeping and hope that someone will prepare it and let me know just how good it is. I found this in Southern Living Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 3 lbs.)
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 tablespoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Combine onions, 1 cup chicken broth, minced garlic and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often to loosen particles from bottom of pan, 15-20 minutes or until onions are caramel colored.
- 2Stir in beef broth, tomatoes and green chiles, chipotle pepper and remaining chicken broth; bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and cook, stirring often, 15-20 minutes.
- 3Ladle soup into 6 bowls; sprinkle evenly with cheese, Tortilla strips and chopped cilantro.
- 4Tortilla strips: cut 6 corn tortillas into 1 1/2-inch strips; coat with vegetable cooking spray; place on a baking sheet and bake at 400° for 5 minutes; stir and bake 5 more minutes or until crisp; sprinkle with salt.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.1
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.9 mg
- Sodium 1741.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 16.0 g