Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This sounds so wonderful, however, if I made a batch of this I'd be the only one in my house eating it. I'm placing it here for safe-keeping and hope that someone will prepare it and let me know just how good it is. I found this in Southern Living Magazine.
- 5 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 3 lbs.)
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 tablespoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Combine onions, 1 cup chicken broth, minced garlic and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often to loosen particles from bottom of pan, 15-20 minutes or until onions are caramel colored.
- Stir in beef broth, tomatoes and green chiles, chipotle pepper and remaining chicken broth; bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and cook, stirring often, 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls; sprinkle evenly with cheese, Tortilla strips and chopped cilantro.
- Tortilla strips: cut 6 corn tortillas into 1 1/2-inch strips; coat with vegetable cooking spray; place on a baking sheet and bake at 400° for 5 minutes; stir and bake 5 more minutes or until crisp; sprinkle with salt.
Hey Jude, I tried it for you. It's tooooooooooooo good. I have a big piece of bread and a leftover bowl here at work for my lunch. I used veggie broth being a vegetarian, cut down a little on the chile and added some chopped fresh cilantro on top.It's a 5 star........Thanks