Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from a cooking group on freezer meals. It comes from the book Frozen Assets Lite & Easy by Deborah Taylor Hough. My family loves this, and bonus, if you make it ahead and freeze it, it is a very fast meal on a night you don't feel like cooking! This recipe makes a lot, so I usually freeze half and bake half when I make it. We had this again last night for dinner and I wanted to post it so everyone else could enjoy it too! This is good served with sour cream and salad.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, dry
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and rinse in cold water, set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion, pepper and celery in oil until softened.
- Stir in taco seasoning, beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cooked noodles.
- Spread mixture in a 9 x 13 pan. (or, put in gallon ziploc bag and freeze--write baking instructions on the bag, then when you are ready to eat it, thaw in warm water for about 10 minutes, put in pan and bake).
- Bake, uncovered at 375 for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake five more minutes or until cheese is melted.
This is very nice! I made all of the sauce but only cooked half the pasta to make an 8x8 casserole. I am going to freeze the other half of the sauce, then when I'm ready for it will thaw fully and add freshly cooked pasta before baking. I left out the celery and used red pepper. Also used homemade Taco Seasoning. I accidentally added the cheese at the beginning and by the time I realized, it was too late, so I let it go for 25 minutes then covered loosely with foil so it wouldn't get too browned. Thanks for the recipe!