Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This came in a newsletter I recieve and so we tried it for dinner. They are more like enchiladas, but really simple to make. I garnished each plate with lettuce, tomato, guacamole and sour cream.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground turkey or 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups salsa (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons light Italian dressing
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and peppers until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground meat to skillet, season mixture with salt, pepper and cayenne (to taste). Brown meat until no longer pink.
- Add 1 cup salsa to skillet and stir into the meat mixture.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Spray 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Wrap stack of 10 tortillas in wet paper towel. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Holding one tortilla in one hand, brush the tortilla lightly with italian dressing. Scoop the meat mixture into the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up and place seam side down in baking dish. Note: Do not overfill the tortilla, or it will be very difficult to roll.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Spoon remaining salsa and any remaining meat mixture over the burritos in the baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and spread remaining 1 cup cheese on top and bake an additional 5 minutes. Top with green onions and sour cream, if desired.