Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This chilli has some kick from two different types of chilli powder, plus dried chilli flakes. Recipe is from my Carb-Lovers Diet Cookbook.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml garlic, finely chopped
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 44.37 ml cocoa powder
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml chipotle chili powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml red chili pepper flakes
- 2 bell peppers, green (deseeded and chopped)
- 2 (850.48 g) canlow-sodium diced tomatoes with juice
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 425.24 g can black beans
- 59.16 ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 29.58 ml red onions, diced
- light sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, 6-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add meat and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until just cooked through, 5 minutes. Add cocoa, chilli powder, cumin, chipotle chilli powder, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes, and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add peppers, tomatoes and beans and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until most liquid is absorbed, 40-45 minutes.
- Divide between 6 bowls and garnish with fresh coriander, onion and sour cream if desired.
Bit too much heat for our liking - even with the chilli halved! Was hoping to get a totally new chilli con carne experience with the cocoa, but I felt like the chilli powder drowned it out.