Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Thick bread slices filled with onion, red and green bell pepper and cheddar cheese for a spicy Mexican inspired grilled cheese. Deliciouso!
- bread (nice thick bread like French, challah, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon carrot, grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed (or grated)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or grape seed oil)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Saute onion, peppers, garlic and carrot for 1-2 minutes. Add hot sauce and cheddar cheese. Allow cheese to start to melt. Remove from heat.
- Slice bread into 1 inch slices. Pour cheese mixture on one slice of bread , add chives, and top it with another slice to form a sandwich. May make open faced, in which case you would only grill one side.
- Grill until grill marks are formed, about 30 seconds on each side. In the winter I grill in a grill pan.
- Great served with soup. Enjoy!
Make it and ...the only negative is that you'll have to share. Made for PRMR.
Great twist on a grilled cheese! I prepared them open face and added a little bit of chopped cilantro right before serving. It was wonderful to just throw it on the grill during this hot weather. Thanks for sharing! Veg*n Swap 25
Very Yummy! Love the way the cheese glues together all the peppers and onions between thick slices of three cheese semolina bread. Made almost as written for got to add the carrot (sorry). Thanks so much for the post