Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 rib finely chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 ounces soft mexican chorizo sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
- 1 poblano chile, roasted, peeled, and diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup mexican sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored
- 1⁄4 medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 -3 serrano chili
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a heavy skillet, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring often until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl combine the sauteed vegetables, ground beef, chorizo, and diced poblano chile.
- In a medium bowl, combine the salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, and eggs. Add the ketchup and sour cream. Mix well with a fork and pour it on top of the mixed meats. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and mix thoroughly with clean hands.
- Put the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch loaf-pan. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf registers 160 degrees F, about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully pour off any accumulated pan juices.
- Meanwhile, heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add the whole tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves, and serrano chiles. Cook, turning frequently, until lightly charred on all sides. Peel the garlic cloves. Add all the charred ingredients to a blender. Pulse until chunky, then pour into a small skillet. Stir in the sugar, chipotle chile and mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Cook until slightly thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
- Slice the meatloaf and arrange on a platter. Spoon the salsa-glaze over the meatloaf and serve.