Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'The Muffin Tin Cookbook' by Brette Sember
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped green chilies, from a can
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, plus
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 6 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 egg whites
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese, for topping
- light sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare 6 regular muffin cups by spraying with nonstick cooking spray or lining with silicone liners.
- Combine ground beef, beans, green chilies, salt, salsa, cornmeal, egg whites, pepper, and 1/4 cup cheddar in a bowl.
- Divide mixture among the muffin cups.
- Top with 1/2 cup cheese, distribute evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked to 160°; check with instant read thermometer.
- Serve with sour cream.
- 260 calories each.
This is very fine meatload indeed! Suggestions: use hot salsa and/or fresh hot peppers for a more Mexican flavor. You could also add 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Using either a regular muffin tin or an ice cream scoop and a baking sheet, this recipe makes enough for a DOZEN mouth-watering meatloafs.