Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I use fresh salsa for this dish if I'm in the mood to make it, otherwise I use Goya pico de gallo. Maque Choux (Corn Maque Choux) makes a great accompaniment.
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa, divided
- 2 slices bread, crumbled
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped poblano pepper
- 3 ounces jalapeno jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine egg, cream, 1/2 cup salsa, bread, and spices in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Puree mixture until smooth.
- Place the ground beef in a large bowl. Add the onion, peppers, cheese, and egg mixture; mix thoroughly.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a greased baking dish.
- Spread the remaining salsa evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until cooked through.