Top Review by Mmylou
This recipe turned out well but did take a bit of prep work. The sauce has a great flavor! I think the masa harina gave the meatballs an odd texture. I'll probably mix masa with the spices then add the water so that the masa gets completely mixed in instead of chunks here and there. Overall they were good.
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup masa harina
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, drained
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, drained
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mash 4 garlic cloves and 1/2 teaspoon salt to make a paste.
- Mix together masa harina and 1/4 cup warm water in a big bowl.
- Add the ground meats, egg, garlic paste, remaining salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Place the balls in a 15x10 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until browned.
- Place tomatoes and chipotle peppers in the container of a blender; blend until smooth; press through a sieve into a bowl.
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add onion and remaining garlic that has been minced; saute and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture, bouillon, and cumin; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cooked meatballs; stir gently.
- Cook with cover on, for 10 minutes; season with additonal salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer meatballs and sauce to a serving bowl.