Carol in Cabo's Note:
This is a traditional recipe with a twist. Great for a cool winter evening with some bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium white onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno chile, seeded and sliced
- 2 large yams, peeled and cut into one inch cubes (camote)
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 3/4 cup spinach leaves, cut into narrow strips and stems removed
- 1In mixing bowl mix pork, flour, eggs, and 1/3 cup chicken broth.
- 2In a dutch oven or other large pan mix broth, onion, garlic, bay leaf, oregano and chile, Bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- 3Shape pork mixture into balls and drop into the simmering broth ( you might need to add flour).
- 4Simmer uncovered for five to ten minutes.
- 5Add rice and continue to simmer, about ten minutes.
- 6Add yams and continue to simmer for about ten minutes or until yams are tender.
- 7Add spinach, stir and cook for five minutes.
- 8Serve and enjoy, You may serve with avocado, lime, crackers or tortilla chips. The traditional recipe uses carrots in place of the yams.
Browse Our Top Baja Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas)
Serving Size: 1 (696 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.7
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 143.7 mg
- Sodium 1442.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 31.7 g