Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a traditional recipe with a twist. Great for a cool winter evening with some bread.
Make and share this Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium white onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large jalapeno chile, seeded and sliced
- 2 large yams, peeled and cut into one inch cubes (camote)
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 3⁄4 cup spinach leaves, cut into narrow strips and stems removed
- In mixing bowl mix pork, flour, eggs, and 1/3 cup chicken broth.
- In a dutch oven or other large pan mix broth, onion, garlic, bay leaf, oregano and chile, Bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
- Shape pork mixture into balls and drop into the simmering broth ( you might need to add flour).
- Simmer uncovered for five to ten minutes.
- Add rice and continue to simmer, about ten minutes.
- Add yams and continue to simmer for about ten minutes or until yams are tender.
- Add spinach, stir and cook for five minutes.
- Serve and enjoy, You may serve with avocado, lime, crackers or tortilla chips. The traditional recipe uses carrots in place of the yams.