This is a great savory meat and vegetable soup with Mexican spices. I usually throw in some Spanish rice and serve with warm tortillas to dip in. My 4yo DD says it's Go Diego Go Soup. :)
The Meatball Mix
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 slice day old bread, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
The Soup Base
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 -4 potatoes, cubed (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- louisiana hot sauce, to taste
- Mix up the meatball mix and shape into smallish balls. Dissolve the bullion in the 4 cups hot water. Bring to a boil.
- Drop meatballs carefully into soup. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in the flavor ingredients.
- Simmer soup for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve in bowls, with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.