Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great savory meat and vegetable soup with Mexican spices. I usually throw in some Spanish rice and serve with warm tortillas to dip in. My 4yo DD says it's Go Diego Go Soup. :)
The Meatball Mix
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 slice day old bread, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
The Soup Base
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 -4 potatoes, cubed (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- louisiana hot sauce, to taste
- Mix up the meatball mix and shape into smallish balls. Dissolve the bullion in the 4 cups hot water. Bring to a boil.
- Drop meatballs carefully into soup. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in the flavor ingredients.
- Simmer soup for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve in bowls, with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
I thought this soup was really good. My daughter and I liked it. My husband thought it tasted too tomatoey, but he is used to his mommys albondigas. I took a bowl to my neighbor and her family was passing the bowl around. I gave it 5 stars because toward the end of the bowl her son started shuffling the last of it in his mouth. Then licked the last drops from the bottom of the bowl. She told me, "He never eats my albondigas like that." Priceless!!! Taking some to my aunt that is recovering from surgery. We'll see what she says :)
Great recipe - had to make a few subs because we are snowed on but it was very good. Mostly wanted to thank you how you wrote the recipe - very easy to follow!
Very tasty. I cut the chili powder and cumin to 1 tsp each so the kids would eat it. They liked it. Pretty easy, filling soup.