Recipe by Bev
I've had this recipe a long time and is a favorite. If you like hot, be sure to put out the hot sauce!
Top Review by kimbearly
love it!my dh ,who is not a soup fan enjoyed it as well. i am finding if it has spice and pep he enjoys it. i loved it! i used orzo instead of rice but that is a minor replacement. it will become a winter soup staple in my house!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 3⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 5 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (in juice)
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat.
- Add 1 3/4 cups onions, 2 garlic cloves and bay leaves; saute 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes with juices, salsa, and cilantro; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground beef, pork sausage, cornmeal, whole milk, egg, salt, pepper, cumin, remaining 1 cup onions, 2 garlic cloves and 1/4 cup cilantro in a medium bowl.
- Mix well.
- Shape meat mixture by generous tablespoonfuls into 1- 1 1/4" balls.
- Add rice and meat balls to soup and bring to a boil, stirring occasionall.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice and meatballs are tender.
- Stirring occasionally,about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.