I've had this recipe a long time and is a favorite. If you like hot, be sure to put out the hot sauce!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 5 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (in juice)
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat.
- 2Add 1 3/4 cups onions, 2 garlic cloves and bay leaves; saute 5 minutes.
- 3Add broth, tomatoes with juices, salsa, and cilantro; bring to a boil.
- 4Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, combine ground beef, pork sausage, cornmeal, whole milk, egg, salt, pepper, cumin, remaining 1 cup onions, 2 garlic cloves and 1/4 cup cilantro in a medium bowl.
- 6Mix well.
- 7Shape meat mixture by generous tablespoonfuls into 1- 1 1/4" balls.
- 8Add rice and meat balls to soup and bring to a boil, stirring occasionall.
- 9Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice and meatballs are tender.
- 10Stirring occasionally,about 20 minutes.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.7
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 3351.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 34.3 g