Recipe by Wendy H.
A savory meat pie courtesy of my Aunt Stephanie that's yummy any time of year, and good either hot or cold the next day. Dress it up with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, guacamole, shredded cheese, etc., or make a side salad out of these items, and you've got tacos (sort of) without the mess.
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- hot spices
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef with onion and pepper in a skillet.
- Pour off fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, salt, oregano, and hot spices, if desired.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Place meat mixture in pie shell.
- Place top crust, seal, and prick.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Leave off top crust and top after cooking with shredded cheese like cheddar or Monterey Jack.
- Would probably be excellent with cumin instead of the oregano, but I haven't tried this yet.