Recipe by deb elshoff
This Meat Mix is out of the "Make a Mix Cookery" That I got from my mother. And is part of my most asked for recipe.
Top Review by Donut Chef
Super filling recipe. I used the slow cooker method and had lots of meat for lots of recipes. Some other uses besides chimis would be baked chimis (brush butter on folded tortillas and bake until golden), burritos, tamales, taquitos, etc.
- 5 lbs beef roast (or combination of beef and pork roasts)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 (1 ounce) canof chopped green chili
- 1 (2 ounce) can green chili salsa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Place roasts in a large roasting pan or Dutch Oven.
- Do not add salt or water.
- Cover with a tight lid and roast about 12 hours, until well done or cook roasts with 1 cup of water in pressure cooker 35 to 40 minutes.
- (Crockpots work as well) Drain meat, reserving the juices.
- Cool meat, then remove bones and fat and set aside.
- Melt shortening in a large skillet.
- Add onions and green chilies.
- Saute 1 minutes.
- Add green chili salsa, garlic powder, flour, salt and cumin.
- Cook 1 minute over medium-low heat.
- Stir in reserved meat juices and shredded meat.
- Cook 5 minutes until thick.
- Put about 3 cups mix into three 1-quart freezer containers,.
- leaving 1/2 inch space at top.
- Seal and label containers.
- Freeze and use within 6 months.