Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 13 hrs
This Meat Mix is out of the "Make a Mix Cookery" That I got from my mother. And is part of my most asked for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Place roasts in a large roasting pan or Dutch Oven.
- Do not add salt or water.
- Cover with a tight lid and roast about 12 hours, until well done or cook roasts with 1 cup of water in pressure cooker 35 to 40 minutes.
- (Crockpots work as well) Drain meat, reserving the juices.
- Cool meat, then remove bones and fat and set aside.
- Melt shortening in a large skillet.
- Add onions and green chilies.
- Saute 1 minutes.
- Add green chili salsa, garlic powder, flour, salt and cumin.
- Cook 1 minute over medium-low heat.
- Stir in reserved meat juices and shredded meat.
- Cook 5 minutes until thick.
- Put about 3 cups mix into three 1-quart freezer containers,.
- leaving 1/2 inch space at top.
- Seal and label containers.
- Freeze and use within 6 months.
Super filling recipe. I used the slow cooker method and had lots of meat for lots of recipes. Some other uses besides chimis would be baked chimis (brush butter on folded tortillas and bake until golden), burritos, tamales, taquitos, etc.
We love this at our house. I will use a combination of beef and pork and roast if for about 3 to 4 hours at 325, so it doesn't take as long. I also use canola oil instead of shortening. You find that you can't keep your fingers out of this while you are mixing all the ingredients together. Yum-Yum!
I have the exact book, from my mother too. I love this recipe. I also like making it with chicken as well. I thought it was perfect but this last time I add some sweet corn blended up into the mixture (like Don Miguels freezer stuff). Oh that was it!