Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I use this for tacos, taco salad, nachos, buritos, quesadillas, etc. I usually do about 4 batches at once and freeze in zip lock sandwich bags... about 6 oz in each bag.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the hamburger, onion, garlic and cayenne over medium heat.
- Stir often until meat is no longer pink (about 5 minutes).
- Add chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Cook about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and cook the mixture, stirring often, until thickened (about 5 minutes).
I really enjoyed this recipe, made it for tacos and taco salad. It is a good alternative to the pouched seasonings- and probably healthier I would guess. I only used 1 1/2 T. of chili powder, was worried my kids would think it was too spicy with the full 2 T. All four of my kids asked for seconds, thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game May '09.