Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mashed potatoes with cheese and green chiles...Mmm.
Make and share this Mexican Mashed Potatoes With Green Chiles recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 ounces canned diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a bowl and mash.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Season to taste with salt.
- If needed, add in a little more milk.
- Feel free to adjust the cheese and cilantro level to your liking!
This is my favorite mashed potatoes recipe. What a great flavor. I warmed up the milk before mashing.
A great flavor booster. I cut the recipe back to serve 2 and subbed 2 tbsp lite cream cheese for the cheddar. Love the hot peppers in there - Served with a Mexican Pork steak recipe Lovely dinner
Okay, I made some adjustments to this, but it was an outstanding recipe start to add your favorites! Cheddar and green chilies were a great combo for two additions of a small tomato and two finely chopped green olives (leftovers I wanted to use up). I also substituted chile juice and a bit of white wine for the skim milk. I omitted butter entirely and added parsley (which I had on hand) instead of the cilantro as well as 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt. We both decided this was terrific, and definitely worth making again. I had this recipe in one of my cookbooks for a long time, and I'm glad I finally made it!