Recipe by CHEF GRPA
This marinade can be used on practically any meat or Mexican-style dish. You'll get a great lime and cilantro flavor without overpowering the flavor of the meat. I made this marinade and used is on boneless chicken thighs and thin sliced sirloin steaks. Everyone loved it! I soaked both the chicken and steak all day and we ate it without any other seasoning. And the leftovers were even better the next day and even a few days later!
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. This marinade works best if it is made a day in advance so the flavors can blend. Marinate beef, lamb and pork for about 6 hours, poultry for 4 hours and fish for 1 hour.
- My Note: We have steak grilled on the bbq once a week so I decided to experiment with different marinades, to taste the differences and ultimately choose a suitable marinade as a main choice. I wasnt sure about how this marinade was going to turn out, although I did think that the ingredient combinations were interesting enough to give this a go. Now on to the review: What I noticed was the aromatic citrus flavour of the meat, it was not overly strong in flavour but it was not subtle either. It had a definite taste and flavour. Now I like to eat my steaks medium rare with the centre pink and some blood, this worked actually quite well because the blood had a lemon with a subtle garlic kind of flavour to it which was quite refreshing. I would recommend this marinade to anyone who wants a refreshing, citrus, lemon + subtle garlic with hints of herb flavoured steak. I had sauce on the side but honestly the steak tasted better without it, the marinade was that good.
- I combined the ingredients and only had them combine for 1/2 hour; marinate the pre-cut chicken breasts for 2 hours and the chicken was wonderfully tasty! The meat turned out so tasty thanks to this marinade! I didn't let the marinade sit at all before putting the steaks in, but I let the meat soak for 8-10 hours. I had made it to make beef tacos and almost decided to just eat the meat plain instead!