Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy to fix meal using your left over macaroni and cheese made into something new. It is a huge family favorite at my house! I made this up one day trying to figure out something for dinner and all I had was leftover macaroni and cheese and just threw some things together into a fantastic meal.
- 1 -2 cup tortilla chips (broken into small pieces)
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (any flavor)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (I use mild but spicier can be used) or 1⁄2 cup salsa, any flavor
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup olive, diced (saving some out for later)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup salsa or 1⁄2 cup tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup lettuce
- Break up the tortilla chips until you have between 1-2 cups depending on how much crunch you want in your meal.
- Cook the hamburger and drain the fat; make the taco meat according to the package directions.
- In a bowl, mix the leftover macaroni and cheese, taco meat, tomatoes or salsa, and the olives (set aside some olives for the top). Set aside.
- Spray a large baking dish (8x13 rectangle) with cooking spray and layer the broken tortilla chips on the bottom;.
- top with the macaroni mixture;.
- top with shredded cheese and olives.
- bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Top with sour cream, tomatoes, salsa, or lettuce as desired after meal is cooked.
I adopted this recipe/chef for Pick A Chef Fall 08. In doing so I failed to notice that the recipe calls for leftover mac & cheese & lists no amount. I had none so pulled a box out of the pantry & started fresh. I thought this recipe was good for several reasons. It is budget friendly, utilizes items most have on hand, makes a lot, and is an easy replacement for "hamburger helper" type meals. I did make a few changes. I used one box of shells & cheese boxed macaroni, added one chopped onion while cooking the ground meat, and used the crushed tortillas to top the casserole rather than on the bottom. I also used cooking spray in the baking dish. Thank you for sharing your creation!