I like this best with fresh chorizo instead of breakfast sausage. Recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces dried mostaccioli pasta (3 cups) or 12 ounces rigatoni pasta (3 cups)
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) jar green medium-hot salsa
- 2 (8 ounce) packages shredded monterey jack cheese (4 cups)
- tomato, wedges sliced jalapeno peppers, and chopped fresh cilantro
- salsa (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, in large skillet cook sausage and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain fat, Return sausage and onion to skillet. Stir in green salsa.
- 3In prepared baking dish layer half of the cooked pasta, half the sausage mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Top with tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro. If desired, serve with additional salsa.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.1
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 471.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 23.9 g