Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 9 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- minced jalapeno
- lime slice
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 20 seconds. Add chicken and oregano to pot; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and lime juice and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide crushed tortilla chips among 6 bowls. Ladle soup into bowls. Top soup with avocados, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and jalapeños. Garnish with lime slices and serve.
I can't believe I haven't commented sooner! My husband stumbled across this recipe about a year ago when looking for hearty soups to make when I was sick. I am so glad he did! We add extra chicken, tomatoes, avocados, and green onions when we are having it as a main course. I do leave out the jalapenos though. What a great comfort food!!
The first time I ever had lime soup was at a Mayan village on a trip to Chichen Itza in Mexico. This recipe wasn't quite the same, but it is very, very good. I scaled it down for two people and used 1/3 cup of garlic roasted salsa instead of fresh tomato. Thanks for posting!