Recipe by Outta Here
A variation on Tortilla soup.
Top Review by susie cooks
This is outstanding! I knew I would like it because it has zucchini and garbanzo beans and lime. All the flavors are perfect together. Easy to follow recipe. I love the tip about dipping the tortillas in water before baking. They came out perfect. My family said this is a 5 star keeper. Thanks mikekey!
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, canned, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, grated
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 lime wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Place the chicken in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring just to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly; remove the skin and bones. Shred the meat and set aside.
- Cut the tortillas into 1/2 inch wide strips. Cut longer strips in half. Dip in water and lay on a baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with some of the salt. Bake 5 minutes; turn and continue to bake 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion, jalapeño and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, tomato, zucchini, broth, beans, salt, oregano and allspice. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice, lime zest and pepper.
- Divide among 6 bowls and garnish each serving with the tortilla strips; serve with lime wedges on side.