1/2 Photos of Mexican Lime & Bean Soup
A variation on Tortilla soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, canned, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, grated
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 lime wedges
- 1Preheat oven to 500°F.
- 2Place the chicken in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring just to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 3Cool slightly; remove the skin and bones. Shred the meat and set aside.
- 4Cut the tortillas into 1/2 inch wide strips. Cut longer strips in half. Dip in water and lay on a baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with some of the salt. Bake 5 minutes; turn and continue to bake 3 minutes. Set aside.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion, jalapeño and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in the chicken, tomato, zucchini, broth, beans, salt, oregano and allspice. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice, lime zest and pepper.
- 8Divide among 6 bowls and garnish each serving with the tortilla strips; serve with lime wedges on side.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Lime & Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.7
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.9 mg
- Sodium 493.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 18.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: