1/1 Photo of Mexican Lentil Soup With Panela Cheese
1 hr 15 mins
Not all Mexican food is fried in lard and full of fat. This is a aromatic soup seasoned with rosemary and thyme and served with Panela (a Mexican moist cheese much like Mozzarella). You can substitute with cotija cheese as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb chopped ham
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 lb lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 12 ounces panela cheese (or cotija cheese)
- 1Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté ham and onions until the onions are tender but not browned.
- 2Add garlic and carrots and sauté lightly for 1-2 minutes.
- 3Add water, bouillon, lentils, rosemary, thyme, black pepper and salt. Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- 5Cook until tender (approx 1 hour).
- 6Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas and and garnish with panela cheese.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Lentil Soup With Panela Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.1
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 672.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: