Not all Mexican food is fried in lard and full of fat. This is a aromatic soup seasoned with rosemary and thyme and served with Panela (a Mexican moist cheese much like Mozzarella). You can substitute with cotija cheese as well.
- 3⁄4 lb chopped ham
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 lb lentils
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 12 ounces panela cheese (or cotija cheese)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and sauté ham and onions until the onions are tender but not browned.
- Add garlic and carrots and sauté lightly for 1-2 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon, lentils, rosemary, thyme, black pepper and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook until tender (approx 1 hour).
- Serve with warm corn or flour tortillas and and garnish with panela cheese.