1/1 Photo of Mexican Lentil Casserole
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
From Easy Beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils (green or brown)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (brown rice is recommended)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1In a large saucepan, saute the onions, green peppers, and celery in heated oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 2Add in the water; bring to a boil.
- 3Stir in the lentils; cover, lower heat, and simmer 40 minutes (do not drain).
- 4Transfer lentil mixture to a large bowl; add in cooked rice, tomato paste, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder; stir to combine.
- 5Transfer mixture to a lightly greased medium-sized casserole dish.
- 6Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- 7Sprinkle tortilla chips and cheese on top.
- 8Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Lentil Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.3
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.8 mg
- Sodium 801.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 13.6 g