Cook1 hr 5 mins
From Easy Beans.
Make and share this Mexican Lentil Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils (green or brown)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (brown rice is recommended)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions, green peppers, and celery in heated oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the lentils; cover, lower heat, and simmer 40 minutes (do not drain).
- Transfer lentil mixture to a large bowl; add in cooked rice, tomato paste, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased medium-sized casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle tortilla chips and cheese on top.
- Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Another winner dish to add to our collection of meatless dinners. Easy to make, staple ingredients and very tasty. My husband enjoyed his topped with a spicy taco sauce.
This is DELICIOUS! Everyone in my house ate it and I am usually the only one who will eat lentils! Super easy and cheap! Can see making this a Friday night tradition:) Only changes that I made were using more peppers instead of celery (that is what I had), and cooking lentils in half broth/half water as I always do to add some flavor. I make my own taco seasoning with 1 tbs arrowroot, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp cumin. I still added the chili powder that the recipe calls for. Delicious! We also really like the added touch of the tortilla chips as it gave it some texture and added flavor:)
This is a tasty meatless meal. My family loved it. It is a inexpensive but healthy addition to our meal plan. It is a winner that I have already passed on to several friends. We served it chips and salsa. Thanks for super lentil recipe.