Cook1 hr 5 mins
From Easy Beans.
Make and share this Mexican Lentil Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils (green or brown)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (brown rice is recommended)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions, green peppers, and celery in heated oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the lentils; cover, lower heat, and simmer 40 minutes (do not drain).
- Transfer lentil mixture to a large bowl; add in cooked rice, tomato paste, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased medium-sized casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle tortilla chips and cheese on top.
- Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.