Recipe by Julia Lynn
You can use ground turkey and lowfat ingredients if you're watching your waistline. BF requests I make this almost every Sunday for football! Traditionally, these dips use a cup of guacamole on top of sour cream but I do not care for it so I leave it out. I included time to cook and cool beef in preperation time instead of cooking time.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 cup sour cream (or more if desired)
- 1 cup salsa (I use chunky salsa)
- 4 cups taco-seasoned cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon taco sauce
- sliced jalapeno (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown your beef and drain the fat. Follow package directions on taco seasoning to season beef. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, mix the beans with taco sauce. The reason I put taco sauce in the beans is to make them a little less stiff and easier to scoop off the bottom of the dish. Use your best judgement.
- Spread the bean mixture evenly on the bottom of a 13x9 dish. This dish should be at least 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese on top of the bean mixture.
- Sprinkle room temperature beef on top of cheese. Make sure it is not hot at all!
- Carefully spread sour cream on top of beef, very slowly. To make it easier, you might choose to dollop it in different places and use a spatula. This is the trickiest part.
- On top of sour cream add your salsa and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Top with green onions, tomatoes, and jalapenos if desired.
- You may serve this dish right away or you can chill it for a couple of hours and serve cold. It is excellent either way!