Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great recipe that we love. I always get great reviews and requests for the recipe. I usually add ground beef to the vegetable mixture as we love meat!
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups green peppers, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans
- 4 -6 flour tortillas or 4 -6 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- 1 lb ground beef (cooked) (optional)
- Sautee onions, garlic and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Add tomatoes (drained), salsa and cumin, bring to a boil.
- Simmer for two minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans and add to others. If you are using, add ground beef here.
- In a 9X13 pan, layer 1/3 of the bean mixture, then tortillas then 1/2 of the cheese.
- Repeat with 1/3 of the beans then tortillas then the rest of the beans and put the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes and serve with sour cream.
- Option: Add ground cooked ground beef to the bean mixture for non-vegetarian version.
This was good. I made it with whole grain tortillas and it came out great. I am having the leftovers for dinner tonight.
This was great! I made it with the beef and it was filling, easy and yummy! My hubby couldn't stop eating it!!!
This has lots of flavor and I'm happy that it's lower in fat than most Mexican casseroles. I made as directed, using corn tortillas and 1/2 lb. of gr. beef. Sour cream is not necessary. I froze half for another meal for the 2 of us. Notes to self: Use 1 med. onion and 1 med. pepper. 10" skillet is not big enough.