Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This a recipe I got from one of my mother's friends - Judy Mensche. This looks difficult, but it's not really. I just couldn't figure out how to explain the layering. I love this recipe AND it is just as good without the beef. You can't tell when I leave the meat out because of the beans. I've also used different bean combinations. You don't HAVE to use black beans and pinto beans. I've used red beans, navy beans, even lentles, just as long as they are really cooked (ie - out of a can for me).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup red bell peppers or 1 cup yellow bell peppers or 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 8 ounces pinto beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or salt to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 2⁄3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas, cut in halves
- In a large frying pan, saute the onion and bell peppers with the garlic, chile powder, cayene pepper, and cumin.
- Saute until the onions and peppers have softened.
- Add the ground beef and saute until beef is almost finished cooking.
- Add the tomatoes, the black beans and the pinto beans and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine parsley, ricotta cheese, the egg white, and the jalapenos and set aside.
- Now it's time to make the layers: Divide the beef mixture the cheddar cheese into thirds and halve and the ricotta cheese mixture.
- bottom layer will be 1/3 beef mixture, 1/3 of the cheddar cheese, 4 tortilla halves.
- spread 1/2 the ricotta mix.
- another 1/3 beef mixture.
- another 1/3 of the cheddar.
- the other 4 halves of tortillas.
- the other half of the ricotta mixture.
- the last 1/3 of beef mix.
- and end with the last 1/3 of cheddar cheese.
- cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
- serve immediately.