Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mucho good!! This casserole has a very pretty presentation (if topped as directed) and is as good to eat as it is to look at. Serve with Mexican rice, salsa and frozen margaritas and you will make a hit with family and friends!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 -12 corn tortillas, fried for a few seconds to soften-drain well on paper towels
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- In a large skillet, brown beef until cooked through; drain.
- Add seasonings and tomatoes and heat through.
- Cover bottom and sides of 13x9x2 baking dish with the some of the tortillas.
- Pour beef mixture over tortillas; place another layer of tortillas over meat mixture.
- Combine together the cottage cheese, Monterey Jack, and egg; pour over tortillas.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle rows of cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and olives diagonally across center of casserole.
Really simple to make and very tasty. My kids all loved it, and so did my husband.
This was really tasty and super easy to make! My family loved it.
This was great - tasty and pretty easy. I made a "half" batch since it was for just two of us, but I think we might well have used even more leftovers. I did not make the "presentation" version with the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, etc. dcorating the top. Just sprinkled diced onions and grated cheddar on top and browned. I would have included black olives if I'd had them on hand.