1/2 Photos of Mexican Lasagna
Based on a recipe from The South Beach Diet Cookbook. Since picky DH really likes this, it makes it a recipe I really like, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb turkey breast
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) jar chopped green chili peppers
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas, halved (6 in diameter)
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Prepare a 13” X 9” baking pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- 3Spray cooking spray on a large nonstick skillet and place over medium heat. Stir in the ground beef or turkey and cook for 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 4Transfer the ground beef or turkey to a medium bowl. Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Spray another coat of cooking spray onto skillet and place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir into the ground beef or turkey in the bowl.
- 5Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, peppers, cilantro (if using), cumin, and salt.
- 6Layer 1 cup of the salsa across the bottom of the baking dish. Layer half of the tortillas evenly over the salsa. Cover tortillas with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Layer on half of the ground beef or turkey mixture. Top with 1 cup of the remaining salsa and ½ cup of the Monterey Jack cheese.
- 7Repeat the layering sequence with the remaining tortillas, cottage cheese mixture, and ground beef or turkey mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining salsa and ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese.
- 8Bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through. If the cheese browns too quickly loosely cover with foil.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.8
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.9 mg
- Sodium 1061.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 26.9 g