Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious alternative to the Italian version, this is a quick and easy dinner whose ingredients we always keep on hand.
- 1 large onion, chopped (or 2 medium)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves (or more!)
- 1 -2 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups prepared salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (19 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 9 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 -3 cups grated cheddar cheese (to taste) or 2 -3 cups grated soy cheddar cheese (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil and fry the onions, garlic, celery, and rep pepper until tender and the onions are translucent.
- Add salsa, cumin, black beans, and corn, and heat through.
- Spoon a quarter of the mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Arrange 3 tortillas in a triangle to maximize coverage.
- Spoon another quarter of the mixture over the tortillas and spread to cover. Top with 1/3 of the grated cheese.
- Arrange the next 3 tortillas in a triangle (but reversed in direction from the previous layer!).
- Spoon another quarter of the bean mixture over the tortillas and spread to cover. Top with second 1/3 of the grated cheese.
- Arrange the last three in the same way as the first layer.
- Top with the last of the bean mixture, spread to cover, and the last of the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven, uncovered, approximately 30-40 minutes, or until heated through and all the cheese is melted and browned on top.
- Serve with a crisp salad for a delicious meal!
- Note: If your tortillas are large enough to cover half the casserole dish, you will only need 6 of them. If you halve the filling mixture and bake in an 8 or 9 inch square pan, you'll only need one tortilla per layer.