Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from Robin Miller's Quick Fix Meals. I have made this several times and my husband loves it. And it is so easy to make! I usually just buy Tyson's ready cooked chicken breast strips (two 6oz pkgs) pre-seasoned with southwestern spices. I sometimes use multi-grain flour tortillas, when I can find them in the store.
- 340.19 g cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 236.59 ml sour cream (regular or low-fat)
- 236.59 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 118.29 ml salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies
- 4.92 ml ground chili powder
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 8 flour tortillas, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, sour cream, 3/4 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese, 3/4 cup of the Cheddar, salsa, chiles, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Arrange half of the tortilla pieces in the bottom of prepared pan, overlapping pieces slightly to cover the surface. Top with half of the chicken mixture and smooth over with the back of a spoon to even the top. Layer remaining tortillas over top, and spoon over remaining chicken mixture. Top with remaining 1/4 cup each of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes, until top is golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I have been making a version of this for years (not giving star because I haven't tried this specific variation) and have a couple of suggestions:<br/><br/>- Use corn tortillas, not flour. Flour tortillas tend to become gummy, whereas corn remain relatively intact. <br/><br/>- Instead of salsa, there are several excellent canned enchilada sauces. I use the Hatch mild variety.<br/><br/>- I shred the chicken (with two forks) rather than slice it. It takes the flavor the sauce much easier when shredded.
Very easy and quite tasty! I made this with ground beef and pinto beans instead of chicken, but followed the recipe otherwise. It worked out quite nicely and was super simple to put together. I'm sure I would like it with chicken as well. Thanks for posting!
What a delicious dish, Marz !!! We had it for diner tonight and the whole family LOVED it ( specially my husband ) !!! It is very easy to prepare, I only changed it for one thing: I added 1 cup salsa to the recipe instead of 1/2. We also added some extra salsa on top of the portions on our plates. Thank you so much for the recipe, Marz ! I will be baking this again :o) !!!