I got this recipe from Robin Miller's Quick Fix Meals. I have made this several times and my husband loves it. And it is so easy to make! I usually just buy Tyson's ready cooked chicken breast strips (two 6oz pkgs) pre-seasoned with southwestern spices. I sometimes use multi-grain flour tortillas, when I can find them in the store.
- 12 ounces cooked chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup sour cream (regular or low-fat)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 flour tortillas, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, sour cream, 3/4 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese, 3/4 cup of the Cheddar, salsa, chiles, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Arrange half of the tortilla pieces in the bottom of prepared pan, overlapping pieces slightly to cover the surface. Top with half of the chicken mixture and smooth over with the back of a spoon to even the top. Layer remaining tortillas over top, and spoon over remaining chicken mixture. Top with remaining 1/4 cup each of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes, until top is golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.