Recipe by WendyMaq
South Beach Diet Online. Phase 2. For when you're in the mood for Mexican... Low fat, low carb, and you would never guess! Gets 5 stars with the whole family. Couldn't find 4oz jars of chili peppers, so I use 1/4-1/3 cup chopped jalapenos (jarred). ...and the optional fresh cilantro really makes this dish.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) jar green chili peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 4 (6 inch) wheat flour tortillas (halved)
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until lightly brown.
- Crumble in ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Remove to bowl with slotted spoon.
- In another bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, peppers, cilantro, cumin and salt.
- Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread 1 cup salsa across bottom of baking dish.
- Arrange 1/2 tortillas evenly over salsa.
- Spread 1/2 cottage cheese mixture over tortillas.
- Top with 1/2 Ground beef mixture.
- Top with 1 cup salsa, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Layer remaining tortillas, cottage cheese mixture, and remaining ground beef.
- Sprinkle with remaining Salsa and 3/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Loosely cover with foil if cheese browns too quickly.