Recipe by Meredith .F
I originally found this recipe on the conatiner of Knudsen's Cottage Cheese & have been making it for years. My husband really likes it & he normally doesn't like cottage cheese. This is the original recipe, but I sometimes substitute ground turkey, lowfat cottage cheese & whole wheat tortillas....depending on the diet frame of mind:)!
Top Review by GaylaV
Six thumbs up at our house! It is very flavourful and the tortillas (I used flour tortilla) puffed up so nicely and were very tender. I used medium salsa which worked fine for us but if you like hot this would be a bit tame. I added in a can of black beans as another reviewer suggested and glad that I did. I also used closer to 2 cups of sharp cheddar and I don't think it was too much. Just a few minor adjustments and it was great. I will def. be making this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 corn tortillas, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced olives, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown meat in skillet;drain. Return meat to skillet.
- Add onions & peppers; cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salsa, corn & seasonings; mix well.
- In a 9x13 baking pan, layer 1/3 of the meat mixture, 1/2 of the tortillas & 1/2 of the cottage cheese. Repeat layers, ending with remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese & olives.
- Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.