Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally found this recipe on the conatiner of Knudsen's Cottage Cheese & have been making it for years. My husband really likes it & he normally doesn't like cottage cheese. This is the original recipe, but I sometimes substitute ground turkey, lowfat cottage cheese & whole wheat tortillas....depending on the diet frame of mind:)!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 corn tortillas, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced olives, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown meat in skillet;drain. Return meat to skillet.
- Add onions & peppers; cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salsa, corn & seasonings; mix well.
- In a 9x13 baking pan, layer 1/3 of the meat mixture, 1/2 of the tortillas & 1/2 of the cottage cheese. Repeat layers, ending with remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle top with cheddar cheese & olives.
- Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.
Six thumbs up at our house! It is very flavourful and the tortillas (I used flour tortilla) puffed up so nicely and were very tender. I used medium salsa which worked fine for us but if you like hot this would be a bit tame. I added in a can of black beans as another reviewer suggested and glad that I did. I also used closer to 2 cups of sharp cheddar and I don't think it was too much. Just a few minor adjustments and it was great. I will def. be making this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
This was GREAT Super tasty! My entire family loved it. You say it serves 6, but I say it easily serves 8 hearty appetites and 10 smaller ones. My husband, 2 kids and I finished a bit less than half and my husband and I had seconds. I used fat free cottage cheese and lowfat cheddar and there was no difference from what a full fat version would be. I think a great addition to it would be a can of rinsed and drained black beans! I will try that next time. Thanks for a great recipe!!!!