Recipe by jillcg
This is a spicy and healthy alternative to many mexican dishes. I am repeatedly asked to make this over and over - especially by my dog sitter. I will admit - it is one of my favorites and easy to vary since most ingredient amounts are approximates. Excellent with corn bread or pudding and a crisp salad
Top Review by jillcg73
Oh, My gosh! I would use less chicken - maybe 1/2 the amount but this was soooo good and I can't believe how healthy it is! This will now be part of my regular rotation. PS - you are right - you can add and subtract ingredients and it is stil amazing!!!
- 1 whole chicken breast, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- cooking spray (if you must, use 1 T. oil)
- 12 ounces rotel Mexican-style tomatoes, drained reserving juice
- 12 ounces black beans, drained
- 8 ounces corn, drained
- 10 3⁄4 ounces fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces light sour cream
- fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese (1 block)
- 7 whole wheat tortillas (Santa Fe has the highest amount of fiber)
- 2 teaspoons black and red peppers
- 1 dash salt
- 2 scallions, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat skillet with cooking spray.
- Season diced chicken breasts with salt and black/red peppers and add to skillet and brown.
- Add onions and peppers and saute until cooked through, but not transparent.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, spoon equal amounts of the soup and the sour cream and add juice from rotel tomatoes (the more added, the spicier). You will unlikely use the entire two cans.
- Just as in lasagna, the layering begins. Spoon the sauce across the bottom of the dish.
- Now, add one tortilla, a spoon of rotel, corn, black beans and the chicken/onion/pepper mixture. Top with cheese.
- Repeat these layers. After adding the final tortilla, spread with remaining sauce, top with cheese and sprinkle with scallions.
- Bake, covered with foil at 350 for about 30 minutes, uncover and bake 5 more.