Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
You are going to absolutly love this recipe! It is one of my favorites. OUTSTANDING!
- 1 vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (6 ounce) cansliced jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- garlic powder (to taste but I use fresh garlic)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 (18 ounce) cans ranch-style pinto beans
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 15 -18 corn tortillas (pan fry in oil to soften)
- sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- cheese (AS MUCH AS YOU WANT)
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic and then drain.
- Put beans in pot (juice and all) and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Smoosh beans really well with a potato masher.
- Add the following ingredients to the meat mixture: Cream of Chicken, Rotel, Jalapenos, cumin, green chilis and enchilada sauce.
- Spray 9x13 pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Layer meat, beans, cheese and tortillas until gone.
- Top with more CHEESE!
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees with a cookie sheet under casserole dish.
- Flavor is enhanced; if prepared a day in advance.
This was very good. My 3 boys loved it and we are having it for leftovers tonight. I didn't have time to pan fry corn tortillas so I used toastadas I also didn't have pinto beans so I used a can of refried beans. I garnished with olives too. What a great and fast dish. It took 45 minutes and that is counting the 20 minutes it was in the oven.
I couldn't decide between Mexican lasagna (with noodles) or with tortillas but decided upon this. I did have to make some changes due to my pantry: ground turkey, Recipe #168653 for the enchilada sauce/tomatoes, and flour tortillas. I halved the recipe and made in a 9 inch square pan, using 4 tortillas. This filled my pan and made for nice big "lasagna" type slices. The beans make a wonderful "gravy-like" texture and the cream on chicken soup made for a creamy texture but the sauce was still a dark red. My husband and I enjoyed this over romaine lettuce. Thanks Gingerbear, for posting! Roxygirl
I didn't care for this at all. The cream of chicken soup threw me off and I didn't care for the tortillas. The leftovers didn't even go into the fridge.