Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here's a light Mexican dish the whole family is sure to love. Serve with refried beans.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 16 ounces salsa or 16 ounces picante sauce
- 1 cup light cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 ounces light monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces light cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown turkey, drain (if necessary).
- Add seasoning packet, onion, tomato sauce and salsa.
- Simmer 5-7 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese and egg in small bowl.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Assemble lasagna in the following order: 1/2 meat mixture, 1/2 tortillas, 1/2 cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 cheese, repeat.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
My family loved this dish! (Even the picky eaters ate it all! This did not taste or look like a "low-fat" dish! The recipe was very easy to make but I did alter it somewhat. I made my own corn tortillas, but I don't think that changed the taste or texture. I also used the 16 oz. bottle of salsa, but did not add additional tomato sauce. In addition to the ground turkey, I added one 16 ounce can of pinto beans.
I've had this recipe saved for awhile and just made it last night for the first time. What a hit! My whole family loved it (not always an easy accomplishment). I used 1.25 lbs. of ground beef & also made the cottage cheese (about 12 oz) blend with two eggs instead of the egg substitute and also mixed the shredded cheese right in with the cottage cheese & eggs. And what's Mexican lasagna w/out chili powder & garlic powder. This will be a regular dish at our table from now on!
This recipe exceeded my expectations. I left out the onions because my husband doesn't like them and instead I added fresh peppers which I cooked with the turkey. I also added a can of black beans and I replaced the tomato sauce with enchilada sauce. I would've liked a bit more of the cheese and egg mix so next time I may increase it or even double it